This Diploma in Public Health programme is designed to enable graduates acquire in-depth knowledge, practical skills and competencies that will be useful in facilitating communities to plan and manage their own health and development. Graduates of this programme are expected to provide leadership in planning and management of health services, and especially at the district, sub-county and community levels.
This programme intends to prepare these categories of people to;
- Develop competences in various disciplines of public health so as to meet various health challenges facing communities.
- It intends to impart comprehensive public health knowledge and skills to the graduates of the programme so as to address the existing human resource gap in the health sector.
- Enable graduates of the programme acquire in-depth knowledge, practical skills and competencies that will be useful in facilitating communities to plan and manage their own health and development.
- Provide leadership in planning and management of health services, and especially at the district, sub-county and community levels.
The graduates of this programme will be capacitated to;
- Recognize public health problems and diagnose their causes
- Use both theoretical/scientific and analytical knowledge and skills to provide solutions.
- Develop through both theoretical and analytical skills in confronting common public health challenges facing the region.
Some of the course units taught include; Introduction to Health Sciences Research; Basic Biostatistics; Basic Epidemiology; Introduction to Public Health; Introduction to Health & Development; Introduction to Health care systems; Introduction to Health promotion; Food, Nutrition and Dietetics; Basic Environmental Health; Introduction to Environmental & Occupation Health, Introduction to Finance and Procurement in Health care among others.
- To be admitted for the Diploma in Public Health, the applicant must hold an Advance level Certificate of Uganda or its equivalent with one principle pass in 'A' Level, or;
- Hold a relevant 1 to 2 year(s) certificate after completing Ordinary Level of education in Uganda or its equivalent with at least on year of work experience.
- Any applicant who did not obtain a Principle pass at 'A' but passes the IHSU Foundation Course and qualifies for Admission to the Diploma in Public Health.